Have habit of smoking. Getting joint pain. Smoking related to joint pain?

Psychiatrist
Question
I was smoking earlier ... after I quit. bt still nw also I am getting de joint pain. . is smoking is related to joint pain r nt?
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 1 hour later
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your history. Please revert to me with duration of abstinence form smoking.

Common nicotine withdrawal features are dullness of mind, irritability , headache, body ache and lack of concentration. Only Joint pain is not usual symptom of nicotine withdrawal.

So, if you have joint pain, first you should consult orthopedic surgeon. Doctor may rule out physical causes of joint pain like arthritis or gout or vitamin B 12 or Vitamin D deficiency.
I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have further query.

Thanks.

Follow-up: Have habit of smoking. Getting joint pain. Smoking related to joint pain? 3 days later
thnks fr ur reply on my doubt it is clarified 2 me. I am not all suffering frm lack of concentration n all. oly thing is I'm getting body ache n head ache frequently, I quit smoking frm last couple of week. n my mind is keep on attracting to smoke would u plz suggest wid any solution fr nt think to smoke .. it ll b great help fr me .. thnks again ..

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 17 minutes later
Thanks for reverting to me.

You have psychological withdrawal features of smoking as your mind constantly attracts towards smoking.

You need to constantly reassure yourself to keep you motivated yourself.

There are some medications like bupropion are available which helps in reducing craving. Nicotine gums are also available which helps in reducing craving. You may get prescription from your psychiatrist for the same.

You may get benefit by doing yoga or meditation.

You may get help from counselor or psychiatrist to keep and increase motivation to quit smoking.

You may take paracetamol or Ibuprofen for control of physical symptoms like headache or bodyache. You may get prescription form your doctor.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

If you do not have any query, please close the discussion and rate the answer.

Thanks.