Have gross hematuria, small specks in urine and severe pain with urination. Kidney stone or UTI?

I have gross hematuria, large amount of blood clots, severe pain with urination and several very small specks that I have recovered from my urine. Do you think I have a kidney stones or a UTI? I have had many occurances of this same type of symptoms for many years and had always thought I had a UTI, now I wonder if I have something more.
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 8 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
Hematuria evaluation protocol needs to be followed.
You need
1. Urine analysis
2. Urine culture to look for evidence of infection.
3. Ultrasound scan to look or stones/ infection / tumor.
At this age, in western countries, blood in urine with clots needs careful evaluation for tumour in the bladder.
4. Cystoscopy may be needed to look at the bladder.

Hope this helps. Kindly write back for doubts if any.
Best regards