Ask a Urologist   »  

Have groin ache, had unprotected sex. STI and PCR negative. US of testis showed Varicocele and Epidiymiti. Chlamydia?

Question
For the last 2 weeks I have had a dull ache in my groin ranging from the pubic area down to my testes ( left in particular)
I had a full check for sti's ( 16 days after having unprotected oral sex). Twice the tests came back negative for culture and pcr tests came negative for chlamydia and gonorrhoea . Today I had an ultrasound (sonar graph ) done on my testes which showed a varicocele and epididymitis in my left testicle. My question is could this be chlamydia and if not why would my cultures been negative both times... What could be causing the inflammation.. This was an indiscretion and I don't want to pass anything on to my wife
I should also add that I have no discharge or pain urinating , although I do have a dull ache in my bladder area.. I'm unwilling to take any antibiotics until I can find out exactly what organism is causing the problem so as not to contribute to the vast growing number of resistance bacteria, and also so I know whether or not my wife needs to be checked ( I truly hope she doesn't ). Also did a full blood work up that was negative. The sonographer said the inflammation wasn't large but it was present with no fluid seen...
If u need any more info plz let me know..
Thank you
Oh sorry one more thing, if its of any relevance, I just started going to the gym and training on the heavy bag, specifically kicks, in case that can lead to urine backwash, ok, that's it I think
Cheers
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Other organisms or reflex of sterile urine.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I had gone through your query and understand your concern.

The cause for your Epididymitis may be due to organisms other than Chalymidia and Gonorrhoea.
Some other frequent organisms causing epididymitis are E.Coli, Ureaplasma.

Even reflex of sterile urine ( urine without bacteria) can also cause epididymitis.

Varicocele is not harm. If you have infertility , consult your treating doctor regarding varicocelectomy.
Varicocele and epididymitis- both can have cause dull pain in groin region.

Please consult your treating doctor for appropriate antibiotic like levofloxacin or ofloxacin after examination.
Get your partner treated too. She may have subtle infection.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries.

Follow-up: Have groin ache, had unprotected sex. STI and PCR negative. US of testis showed Varicocele and Epidiymiti. Chlamydia? 16 minutes later
Thank you for your answer,
My main worry is whether the 2 tests could be wrong... If its not an sti then I don't want to alert my partner to my mistake I made...

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Convince your partner as prophylaxis for infection

Detailed Answer:

STI's are less common with oral sexual intercourse than penetrative intercourse. Further since you had done the test twice, I don't think that they are wrong.

It's better to discuss with your partner about any concerns about STI and keep them alerted to avoid untoward incidents. Though it may not be needed, I always recommend my patients to discuss with partner.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for follow up queries.

Follow-up: Have groin ache, had unprotected sex. STI and PCR negative. US of testis showed Varicocele and Epidiymiti. Chlamydia? 43 minutes later
Thank you very much, that makes me feel better..
Could I have acquired ureaplasma naturally with out it being sexually transmitted?
Is it part of the normal flora?

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Normally found in sexually active male or female

Detailed Answer:
Welcome XXXXXXX

Ureaplasma urealyticum is usually found in sexually active male or female. It can be found even without disease. So it is better to convince your partner for treatment.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries in XXXXXXX