Ask a Urologist   »  

Have grade -II prostatomegaly and small seminal vesicle cyst. Do I need urgent medical cure?

is grade 2 prostratomegaly a condition needing urgent medical attention ; i have been diagonised with a 15 mm cyst in base of right seminal ve3sicle?
pROSTRATE 47X36X46 MM (40 CC)
. Grade -II prostatomegaly withh enlarged median lobe of prostrate
. small right seminal vesicle cyst
. for clinical correlation
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 37 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Prostatomegaly is a common condition seen in adult males above the age of 50 years. As you are aware prostate enlargement is divided into different grades, and you have been diagnosed to have grade II enlargement. Treatment of grade II prostate enlargement depends on a number of things which will have to be investigated by your doctor. They are:
-Flow of urine (uroflowmetry test)
-Urine culture and sensitivity
-Renal complications (renal function tests)

If the urine flow is indeed compromised or obstructed, the first line of management would include the use of medication (eg. alpha blockers, etc.). These medications will improve the flow of urine, reduce the progression of prostate enlargement, and to a certain extent reduce the size of the prostate. If the urine flow is severely obstructed and you are experiencing complications due to the prostate enlargement, then a small procedure can be advised called transurethral resection of prostate; which is a minor procedure with recovery times of 3-5 days. It is also routine procedure to get your serum PSA checked, this is the case for all patients diagnosed to have prostate enlargement.

The cyst noticed near your right seminal vesicle should be treated and well addressed. Although these cysts might not always respond to medication, the best technique employed to treat them is by draining them or even going for resection. You should discuss the details with your doctor.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be happy to help.

Best wishes.