Have got abscess, given antibiotic. Sweating and balance is slightly off, suffer from anxiety. Normal?

General Surgeon
Question
Hello I have got a abscess been to the dentist and got antibiotics this is my second day can, I am sweating a lot and my balance is slightly off is this normal ? I suffer with anxiesty and I donot think this is helping XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 19 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Every abscess should be incised and drained. Abscess contains pus which is composed of dead white blood cells parts and bacteria. There is no blood vessels in an abscess. That is why no antibiotic can penetrate to the abscess or the penetration is too low to treat it. So this is why you do not see any improvement after taking an antibiotic.
Sweating and balance problems are most likely indicating an infection which is spreading.
Please visit your dentist (or better "Oral and maxillofacial surgeon") and insist to drain an abscess. After pus drainage, you can take an antibiotic to heal surrounding tissues. The best antibiotic for such infection is Clindamycine 300 mg 3x1

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have got abscess, given antibiotic. Sweating and balance is slightly off, suffer from anxiety. Normal? 2 hours later
Some of it came out yesterday swelling gone down a bit today, I was given amoxicillin 500 mg three times a day for a week, why have they given me them ? I do suffer from anxiesty bad and my in balance was here before this as well

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 hours later
So the abscess has drained by itself. This is very good. Now it should heal even without an antibiotic. Amoxicillin is a very good antibiotic, however not the best one for inflammations in this area. But as the pus is drained, this antibiotic is fine as well.

Please do not worry about this. I know it makes your anxiety worse. Try to relax a little as this problem with an abscess seems to be solved and should not bother your anymore.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have got abscess, given antibiotic. Sweating and balance is slightly off, suffer from anxiety. Normal? 1 hour later
Thankyou I think I had more than one abcess as my face still swollen and tight, the swelling is right by my nose as it was my fang tooth, I think my anixesty is taking over a bit now, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
You need to decide if you are better now or not. If not, you should visit a doctor and have an abscess drained (like I have mentioned before).
If you are getting better, just continue with the antibiotic you have been prescribed.

Regards.