Have given up drink for 6 days. Would I get any side effects?

I have given up drink before for 6 days and have had no side effects from that.However I am always drinking everyday for the last 20 years and will drink anything from wine beer spirits.I am afraid to stay off the drink longer just incase I get some severe side effects.Would 6 days be an indicator that I wouldn't get bad side effects?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

If you have not experienced any significant symptoms so far then it is not likely you will at this point.

These symptoms normally appear within 24 hours after the decrease or cessation in alcohol use.
Usually the initial symptoms are mild such as shakes, difficulty sleeping, anxiety, increased stomach upset, excess sweating.

Moderate symptoms start 24 to 36 hours after cessation of alcohol such as excess tremors, increased heart rate, excess sweating, altered blood pressure.

Severe symptoms occur 48 hours (2 days after) the cessation of alcohol-agitation, feeling disoriented, hallucinations

If you have not experienced any of the above then you are unlikely to.

It can be difficult to reduce the use of alcohol on your own, you may want to enlist the help of your family or friends. You should also consider speaking to your doctor to find out if any professional help is possible.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Have given up drink for 6 days. Would I get any side effects? 29 minutes later
Am I even an alcoholic?I work never miss a day but when at home with my partner we drink together every night.Mainly we share a bottle of wine with the dinner and then have a few shots of spirits or a few beers.Our Saturday nights can be heavy drinking as in get drunk.We both work, walk a lot,have a big garden, and are happy enough.I would just like to give up as I am overweight and getting a bit older and am scared of some day waking up needing a drink although that has not happened .All our drinking is done together at home we don't go out drinking as we live in a remote place and we never drink alone.We don't argue about it and have a great relationship in all aspects.We sometimes miss a couple nights drinking but we kind of thrive on the whole nice dinner /fine wine routine it's like valentines day a couple of times a week.However we do also have our share of hangovers and that's were the extra calories come into it.I am drinking since I am 14 .(now 42)Tx for your help much appreciated
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

The use of 1 to 2 glasses of wine on evenings is ok, it is actually recommended because it helps with some parts of the cholesterol.

It is not recommended to go above this however and in persons who are not able to restrict to this amount , it is best not to use to any at all.

Your desire to stop is very admirable and understandable. There are complications to prolonged use of excess alcohol. It is associated with increased risk of heart disease, nerve damage, stomach ulceration, liver failure and a number of cancers.
As you mentioned as well, it also contributes to increased weight because it is just empty calories that the body ends up storing.

In terms of the diagnosis of alcoholism-there is a screening questionnaire that is used in offices called the CAGE questionnaire. If a persons answers yes to at least 2 of the questions they are thought to be considered to be likely dependent on alcohol.

The questions are: (1) C- have you ever thought that you should cut down on alcohol use?
(2)A-do you get annoyed when someone criticizes your drinking
(3)G-do you ever feel guilty about your drinking?
(4) E-Have you ever had a drink the first thing in the morning to steady your nerves, act as an eye opening or help with a hang over?

if you answer yes to at least 2 of these then it is likely there is an issue with alcohol use.

Please feel free to ask any other questions