Have genital warts in groin area. No improvement after taking aldara. Any effective treatment?

I have ,what appears to be,genital warts in my groin which appeared after a hospital shave for a navel hernia.
Prior to the op I had a slight redness on my pant line and onto my groin caused by sweat and abrasion from grit materials in my work.At the time of the op I was still using the cream that the doctor prescribed to quell the redness
The heads were not changed for the shavers and were used over the abrasion and where casually whipped out and dropped into the same pockets without any change by the nurses who were doing the rounds that morning.
I am now at the end of a repeat corse of `Aldara` which was prescribed by a skin specialist for the warts and there is no real improvement.
I did see on a TV presentation of `Embarrasing Bodies` spots that looked similar caused by a ruptured epididymal cyst,(which I have had since my 20s,(now 57) and no longer troubles me) and wondered if I am being treated for the wrong infection/problem.
Believe that I say I have not done anything to have contracted the warts.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 5 hours later
thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Genital warts may disappear without treatment but sometimes will grow and need treatment. It is caused by HPV (Human Papilloma Virus). Since it is a viral infection it does not respond to antibiotics.

90% of HPV gets cleared from body within two years due to the immune mechanism of body but sometimes the virus remains dormant (inactive) in the body and recurs even many years later.

Aldara is the drug Imiquimod. It is an immuno modulator. It activates the immune system against the viral infection. It needs to be applied twice a week for 16 weeks and should be repeated if necessary. Although it results in irritation, the degree of inflammation parallels its therapeutic benefit. So you can continue to use Aldara for 16 weeks.

Other topical applications used in genital warts are Podophyllin and Podofilox. Podophyllum is an Escharotic (cause local tissue destruction and scarring). These drugs don't have any additional benefit over Aldara. Interferons are used to treat recurrent or refractory warts.

Small epididymal cysts do not require treatment. Epididymal cysts are cystic (contain fluid) in nature unlike the warts.

I hope this helps.