Have genital herpes. Spread to throat. Prescribed valtrex. Having itching and burning worse at night. Remedy?

I have genital herpes, and I had my first outbreak about 5 months ago. I had not had another one until about two weeks ago, and it was and still is pretty bad. I thought I would just let it go away on its own, but then it spread to my throat, so I went in and was prescribed valtrex, which is what i took the first time on my initial outbreak, and it worked well. But because this is my second outbreak, the doctor only prescribed 500 mg twice a day for 3 days. I have taken 3 pills now, and so far I see no improvement. The itching and burning was actually worse last night after I took a full days worth of the dosage. Will the valtrex not work because I waited almost two weeks after i saw symptoms? Will the genital and throat herpes outbreak eventually clear up? The itching and burning is becoming almost unbearable, and I would really like to know how to clear it up.
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 minutes later

- Valtrex will surely work, but it may take some time to respond as it was started with a delay. The course may have to be a bit longer this time as it is a recurrence. Also apply acyclovir ointment if there are any raw surfaces among the lesions.

- It will clear up with appropriate treatment. The drug you are on is good but the course has to be a bit longer. Discuss with your treating doctor about the same.

- You can also take antiinflammatory medications to alleviate symptoms to some extent.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.