Have fluctuating BP, that goes very high and have to put off work. Suggestion?

Ihave seen my
Dr 2days ago with BP's that fluctuate going very high the highest 192/100 and he put me off work for the week I am feeling a bit better but this am BP 172/105 do you think I should go to work as I am in a sedentary position
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

A diagnosis of Stage 2 hypertension can be made with those numbers and you will likely need combination therapy of medications to gradually bring it down to goal, which should be less than 140/90 most of the time. If you are feeling better and you have been started on medications for hypertension, you could probably go back to work with the blessing from your doctor; if medications have not been started then they probably should at this stage, it is not recommended to be "out there" with untreated Stage 2 HTN, and you should resume functions when the numbers show an adequate trend-down.

Truly yours,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Have fluctuating BP, that goes very high and have to put off work. Suggestion? 3 minutes later
how long will it take to answer the question
I have been on Micardis for two days and have to see the Dr in 3/7 for blood test results and he is also going to do a 24hr BP monitoring. The other issue I have is that of skipped beats could this be AF or ectopics and what is the difference
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 3 hours later
I am glad you are already taking medication, which needs at least 5 half lives (in the case of Micardis 5-7 days) to see full effect. You may need however a second agent but your doctor will determine so after the ambulatory blood pressure monitoring.

In terms of the skipped beats, the most common causes are premature atrial and then ventricular contractions which tend to be benign; atria fibrillation is a constant or paroxysmal irregularly irregular rhythm that lasts not only a few seconds, but tends to stay for longer periods of time. It is due to several sites in the atria trying to set the pace of the heart at the same time.

Hope this suffices.

Truly yours