Have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis. Having pain while walking. Allergic to nasid. Related to MS?

Geriatrics Specialist
I have fibromyalgia and some osteo arthritis. I've had it for seven years. A few times in the past three months, I wake up with searing pain in both of my hips. I have difficulty walking as well because of the pain. I do take pain medication and its not working. I'm allergic to nsaids. One, could this be a symptom of one or both of my conditions? Or is it possible that this could be spacisity (sic) related to MS? Also, what can I do for the pain. I can't sleep at all. In the past I would have this for a couple of days and it would only be a night. This is day four and I'm hurting 24/7.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 5 hours later
hi there
thanks for writing to us,
Arthritis causes inflammation of the hip joint and the breakdown of the cartilage that normally cushioning your hip bones. The pain gradually gets worse as the arthritis progresses ,day by day.
The symptoms get worsen when we grow older.the pain is due to daily wear and tear of joint, muscle strains caused by forceful movements.
Physical therapy to strengthen muscles and joints is very helpful.
Pain medications are widely required by individuals with osteoarthritis, as you are allergic to NSAID, it is advisable to take alternate pain controlling medications under proper prescription.
The following helps you to get rid of the symptoms.
1 weight loss can reduce the stress on the joints and help in relieving the symptoms to some extent.
2 physical therapy,
3 lifestyle changes including exercise and weight control
If pain is continuous in spite of medications orthopedic bracing, helps out .
let me know if you have further questions
thank you and take care.
Follow-up: Have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis. Having pain while walking. Allergic to nasid. Related to MS? 18 hours later
Hi. Thank you for your answer. I currently am on pain medication and most of the time it works. But in this case it didn't what seemed at all. I live with pain on a daily basis and know that some days I just have to deal with it. I get confused on when to use heat or when to use cold compresses. Would one of those be helpful in reducing discomfort? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 14 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing back,

I understand, it is hard to live with pain on daily basis, the permanent treatment for arthritis pain is joint replacement that is only the final stage of treatment when all other medical treatment failure.

Yes, heat and cold compresses helps to relieve the pain in most of the cases. If your pain is accompanied by swelling or redness, a cold compress is used - because it can reduce the inflammation. Apply the compress for about 20 to 25 minutes twice daily for better results.

It is always important to be careful with heating treatments. Overheating will results in heat burn in your skin. Disposable heat patches, heated swimming pools, hot packs, moist heating pads, and warm baths and showers are used ,which is pleasant and suitable to you.

For both heating or cooling therapies, it is recommended that you repeat the treatment at least two times a day. And always remember to protect your skin from direct contact, in order to protect your skin from injury.

Let me know if you have further questions.