Have fever and swollen node on side of neck. Does it indicate any abnormality?

Sep 2012

i have swollen node on left side of my neck for month .fnac says chronic non specific reactive lympadentis.i have fever from past 15 doctor says now tht its due to infection on tonsils n becuse of which i have fever
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 21 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, chronic nonspecific reactive lymphadenitis indicates any chronic disease. It may be present in any chronic infection of mouth, any viral infection, any upper respiratory tract or tonsil.

But, in India, most common cause of this type of lymphadenitis is tuberculosis. As you have fever for last 15 days, I think you should consult with your treating doctor for ordering ancillary tests to rule out any possibility of tuberculosis.

As your doctor has told the cause is tonsillitis, your clinical examination must have revealed that. So, keep following up with your treating doctor. Besides, you should consult the abovementioned points with your treating doctor.

In this time, for fever take paracetamol. If tonsillitis is the cause, broad spectrum antibiotic like amoxicillin should be taken. A good mouthwash should also be considered.

Lastly, consult with your treating doctor about the points I have described.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Have fever and swollen node on side of neck. Does it indicate any abnormality? 14 minutes later
forgot to tell you below are the tests I have undergone.
1.CHest X XXXXXXX :normal
2.CBC :Normal
3.FNAC : chronic non specific reactive lympadentis ,also it says polimorphic population of lympocytes,few histicytes and tingible body macrophages .no evidence of necrosis or granulomas studied.
4.gramstain : no bacteria found
5.smear for AFB : not found test : results awaiting

I was wodering my lymph node hasnt returned to normal.
WHy I am having fever from past 15 days.
can tonsils infection cause persistent fever and i dont have any pain in my tonsils
should i take additional tests to make sure its not cancer.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 29 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

Look, first of all, do not worry. These symptoms are not at all indicative of cancer. The tests also indicates that this is not cancer. So, stop worrying.

Now, the investigations indicates no definite pathological conditions till now. I think there is very low chance of tuberculosis.

But, a persistent fever is the main problem.

Tonsilitis can give rise to this type of fever. So, if your doctor suspects it as the cause, you should follow your doctor.

But, some other tests should also be done. A routine urine examination and widal tests should be done to look for any abnormality.

As i have told you Keep following up with your doctor and consult about the points i have mentioned.

And most importantly, till now, there is no possibility of cancer.

Hope you have your answers.