Have fatty liver, arthritis and hbp. Developed tingling sensation and numbness on tongue. Treatment?

Question
Hi Doctor,

My mother is 49 years old. She complained about numbness in the tongue & both her legs which lasted for few minutes. After few hours, she mentioned that she has developed tingling feel & slight numbness in the tongue. She has hypertension/high BP. She is taking Telma am and static 10 tab everyday. She has Fatty Liver & arthritis too.

Please could you help us in understanding what we should be doing?

Look forward to your advise.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 33 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

I have noted your complaints

The following two possibilities are to be considered

1. Beginning of a peripheral nerve problem
2. Remote possibility of sensory seizures

It can be further clarified by a clinical evaluation by a neurologist

She will require tests like nerve conduction tests and EEG to resolve this issue. Blood tests like blood sugar, thyroid function etc also will be needed for diagnosis.

Please don't worry and get evaluated. Treatment depends upon the cause

Hope this clarifies your query. Please let me know if you have any concern.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Have fatty liver, arthritis and hbp. Developed tingling sensation and numbness on tongue. Treatment? 32 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you. We are planning to get a Master health check up done for her. Is there anything in particular that is not usually covered in the master health check up that you would advise for her?

Thanks,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 27 minutes later
She will require tests like nerve conduction tests and EEG to resolve this issue. These tests are not covered in master health check up.

You may need to visit a neurologist for other tests.

Best wishes

Follow-up: Have fatty liver, arthritis and hbp. Developed tingling sensation and numbness on tongue. Treatment? 1 hour later
Thank you Doctor.

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 17 minutes later
best wishes from my side. Please close this discussion if you have no more questions