Have extensive st-t changes on ecg and normal blood report. Should I go for another test?

Question
I have extensive st-t changes on my ecg. I feel fine. I'm 50 y/o and excercise more now than ever. My bloods are all normal. Had a thal stress test 2 years ago which was normal. My cardiologist wants another. can you comment?
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 5 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Yes, it is better to have another – preferably with thallium (isotope)
Treadmill exercise EKG (TMT) may have false positives or negatives at times
Over one year, the process might have progressed..
At 50, ischemia is the most likely cause of ST change / it is not always symptomatic and has to be excluded

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck

Follow-up: Have extensive st-t changes on ecg and normal blood report. Should I go for another test? 19 hours later
I have a $10,000 deductible. So the test will be completely out of pocket. The last one cost me @$1600. Do you still believe it's a cost effective way to spend my healthcare dollars?

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 7 hours later
Yes
You should go for Stress EKG (with thallium)...
It is better to be safe than sorry.

Follow-up: Have extensive st-t changes on ecg and normal blood report. Should I go for another test? 21 hours later
ok I will
thank you for you valued advice

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 9 minutes later
All the best
God bless you