Have excessive stomach pain and motions. Can it be due to heavy and spicy food?

General Surgeon
Hi Doctor,
I have excessive stomach pain and motions. i believe this is due to my heavy diet(spicy food and alcohol) yesterday night. stomach is paining even if i move a bit.

Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Where is your pain located? Do you have any nausea and/or vomiting? Any weight loss recently? Does the pain radiate to the back? Is the pain caused by a meal? Any diarrhea or constipation? Does your stool get whitish occasionally? Any burning while urinating, frequent urinating, dark urine?

Heavy diet most commonly affects gallbladder, liver, pancreas and stomach. From all of mentioned liver does not cause any pain.

Spicy food and alcohol can trigger gallstones pain. The pain is located in the middle and right upper abdomen. It radiates to the back. Nausea and vomiting appears.

Pancreas inflammation gives similar to gallstones symptoms, however the pain is much stronger so the abdomen gets really hard.

Stomach issues can be also caused by spicy foods and alcohol. It can be stomach inflammation or peptic ulcers. The pain is usually located in the upper middle abdomen. It appears after 1-2 hours of the meal. Nausea, chest burning can be present.

Alcohol and spicy foods can also slowly destroy the liver. It leads to fatty liver. It does not hurt, but should be checked.

I suggest you visit your doctor and have some basic tests. You should start with abdominal ultrasound (will tell about liver condition and gallstones), liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP,AP), bilirubin, amylase, urine amylase, urine analysis.
If all this tests will be negative, gastroscopy should be the next step.

In a meanwhile you should avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol, coffee.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.