Have erectile dysfunction problem. Is this a diet or stress related problem? Looking for cure

My Sex life was perfectly normal a few months ago. Recently I’m having problems with my sex life. The First time I have sex is OK, but the second time is horrible it takes forever to get it up again. This is unusual for me? Normally I use to have sex a least 2 to 3 times within a couple of hours. My sex drive is slow, is the food I eat or stress NOT SURE? Please help.
Thank you
Posted Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 36 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

There can be a variety of causes for this type of sexual problem - both medical causes as well as psychological causes. So, the first and most important step in management is proper evaluation. This will include a detailed medical, sexual, personal and social history, a thorough physical examination and certain investigations, as per the necessity. This is both informative to the doctor and serves as an opportunity to educate the patient and clarify his doubts.

Now, in your case, since you say that you are able to get a good erection and have sex normally the first time, it is unlikely that your sexual problem is due to any medical cause. I would also like to let you know that in more than 80% of cases of erectile dysfunction, psychological factors also play a major role in causing or aggravating the problem. Stress is one of the important factors which can decrease sex drive and cause erection problems also. Often this becomes a revolving cycle, that is stress causes sexual problems, then later on the sexual problem itself causes more anxiety and worry and this increases stress levels.

I would give you the following suggestions:

1) Avoid stress as much as possible. Practice relaxation techniques like XXXXXXX breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, yoga, etc.

2) Secondly, get rid of any thoughts that you may be sexually inadequate or doubts that you may not be able to get an proper erection. This kind of doubt or anxiety itself will worsen your problem.

3) Eat a healthy diet, with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. You should also keep yourself adequately hydrated.

4) Avoid smoking, alcohol or any kind of substances or medication.

5) Exercise regularly, as this will improve your blood circulation as well as keep your mind fresh.

If you follow these simple suggestions and stay stress-free and positive, then your problem should gradually subside and you should be able to regain your normal sexual drive and functioning. In case, your problems are persistent (very unlikely), then I would advise you to consult a psychiatrist or a sexologist in person to have a detailed assessment and evaluation done.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist & Sexologist