Ask a Urologist   »  

Have eosinophilic cystitis. Have fever, negative culture. Are cystitis and fever related?

I have had Eosinophilic Cystitis for over two years. My urologists has competed two biopsies, which came back benign. Sometimes when I have, what I call an attack, the pain stops me in my steps. By the way, Mayo Clinic diagnosed the cysts. This present attack I have been running a fever. I had a culture completed on Friday and it came back negative. I have looked up the systems of Eosinophilic Cystitis and I don't find any mention of running a fever. Do you think that the cystiitis and fever are related or do you think something else might be going on? I also should mention that I have fibromyalgia.
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 9 hours later
I do agree that fever is usually not a pert of eosinophilic cystitis, and if you have fever, the eosinphilic cystitis might not be the cause.
Fibromyalgia again probably might not be related to your fever or cystitis. I wish I had an idea of medicines you are on - eg. Comfora? Amitryptilline?, but for the moment, continue whatever you had been taking. Take plenty of fluids - it might cause you to void more frequently, but in cases of fever, it usually helps flush out bacteria, apart from whatever antibiotics you may have been prescribed.
Please get back to me if you have further queries.
Follow-up: Have eosinophilic cystitis. Have fever, negative culture. Are cystitis and fever related? 7 hours later
I feel I already knew the answers you gave me because I have been living with these problems for so many years. I was hoping you might come up with some different suggestions. Unfortunately, I don't think there probably is an answer to my medical problems. I guess it is just going to have to go into the auto-immune problems. It is a mystery as to what my body can come up with.
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 2 hours later
Yes, Internet is the bane of doctors in the present era - It is difficult to impress patients any more! They actually know a lot better, especially as they go through day after day with the illness while we only help in the treatment!
Unfortunately, the nature of disease is such that it seems to affect the patients , reducing their quality of lives, sapping away at morale, and I do not know how I would have been able to manage had I been a patient. And if I have not been able to help you, I am sincerely sorry.
The one point which struck me over the years while I have been seeing so many patients of interstitial cystitis is that the disease has not affected anyone from the low socio-economic status. Most of my patients (all are female) are well educated, and have come to grips with the disease with more fortitude than I would have believed possible.
Regards and best wishes.