Have enlarged lymphnode. Had tonsils. Feels tender and painful. Should I visit the doctor?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a enlarged lymphnode that is on one side of my neck for 4 weeks and i had my tonsils out a year and a half ago. Its firm and we have a family history of cancer. Its not tender or painful. Should i make an appt with my family doctor or see a specialist. Thanks
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to consult specialist

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case

Enlarged lymph node in neck is very common condition and needs proper evaluation.
Most common reason for enlarged lymph node is usually infection, so we can start antibiotic regime and look for results.
There is enlarged lymph node in malignancy also.
If there is no improvement then we will need to investigate in form of complete blood count, ESR, CRP, tuberculin test, and Fine needle aspiration cytology or open biopsy.

There could be possibility of infection like Tuberculosis or sarcoidosis.
It can be due to benign malignancy of maxilla or oral mucosa, or metastatic lesion.

So I will advise you to consult a specialist and do further investigation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.