Have elevated SGPT and SGOT levels. Suggest?

SGOT (AST) jumped in one year from 29 to 54
SGPT (ALT) jumped in one year from 20 to 34
What does this mean?
What is the meaning of SGOT and SGPT?
What must I do to correct the situation?
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

I understand you are concerned. I have some positive news which should rest your fears.

1. SGPT and SGOT are two enzymes secreted by liver. We record the liver enzyme levels to record the liver's activity. When the enzymes are in limits, it implies normal liver functioning.
2. Since liver has high rejuvenating property, enzyme levels under 100 hardly bother doctor. Because at levels under 100, liver is quite capable of handling the stress.
3. In your case, the difference in enzyme levels may have been due to recent stress - infection, diet consumed (high protein/fat) or may the effects of hepatitis B virus.
4. You need not be concerned yet. Make sure you watch your diet - a balanced and low fat diet, avoid unnecessary medications including herbs and supplements, manage your weight adequately, avoid alcohol, sleep and rest adequately. These are general advice; however they have significant effects on how your liver functions and thereby prevent further increase in liver enzymes.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any other specific information.

Good luck!!