Have ear pain, ear blockage, dizziness, light headedness. How to get rid of it?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have had an ear problem for a couple of months but it is really bad at the moment. I feel like I need to clean out my ear deep inside and lots of dizzy spells, and some pain in my left ear.Fog and light headed is a constant I dont seem to be able to think straight. Doctor said it is a virus and she cant do anything and it can take a while to go.
I believe I had this about 2 years ago and another doctor said I would be lucky if it ever went away completely. I am frustrated that nothing can be done and it is hard to sometimes get through my work days. Thanks XXXX
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

The symptoms described by you seems to be related to Eustachian tube (the tube connecting the nose and the ear) dysfunction.

When there is block in the opening of the Eustachian tube, you sense some pressure build up and pain inside the ear. This is due to the negative pressure created inside the middle ear. The dizzy spells at times is also due to pressure inside the middle ear.

The commonest cause of Eustachian tube dysfunction is an ENT specialist. You will require nasal endoscopy to look for any pathology inside the nose causing the Eustachian tube dysfunction and audiometry for the ear evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. XXXX
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Have ear pain, ear blockage, dizziness, light headedness. How to get rid of it? 8 minutes later
Thankyou very much, I guess I have to get a referral to see an ENT specialist but I will do that. I believe you are exactly right as I feel like I that I need to put something like a pipe cleaner into that canal as it is so irritated and sore.
If this is the case how do they remove this blockage?
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 35 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

My sincere apologies for the delayed reply.

As the blockage is at the nasal end of the Eustachian tube, the nose has to be examined to look for any nasal congestion or obstruction and the treatment will be planned accordingly.

If it is only the nasal congestion, then, you will require saline or the steroid nasal spray, along with nasal decongestants and steam inhalation.

If there is nasal obstruction, then, the treatment will be planned according to the type of obstruction which may require surgical intervention.

Hope this clarifies your doubts. I wish you good health.

Dr. XXXX
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Have ear pain, ear blockage, dizziness, light headedness. How to get rid of it? 4 hours later
Thankyou very much for your comments you have been a big help.
I dont think I have any other questions I will make my appointments now.
Thanks again XXXX

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 days later
You are welcome XXXXXXX

I would appreciate if you can leave your feed backs after closing this discussion of there are no other questions.

Best Wishes