Have dry, swollen, itchy and painful vagina. Cause?

I am a female, 43 y/o's. I currently have a dry swollen itchy and painful vagina. This is the third time this year this has occurred. Help!
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Infection or atrophic vaginitis

Detailed Answer:

From your history it seems that there are two possibilities of having this problem,
1. You might have a fungal infection in vagina and now there is super added bacterial infection leading to painful itching vagina.
2. At this age there is depletion of estrogen level giving rise to atrophy of vaginal mucosa producing itchiness, dryness of vagina.

If you are unable to XXXXXXX your gynecologist to find the exact cause, you can try anti-fungal cream with antibiotic cream locally. Antifungal and antibiotic combination creams should be available over the counter. Ask your pharmacist. In addition to topical cream, I advice oral antifungal tablets like like Flucanozole 150 mg once in a week for 4 weeks to my patients for better results.

If antifungal cream does not make you feel better, possibilities of atrophic vaginitis needs to be considered. This can be easily treated with estrogen creams.

In the interim keep local hygiene clean, dry and airy.

I hope, I answered your query.
If you have further query or clarification, please ask.