Have dry red sore skin on genital area. Noticed white coating on penis head. Penile yeast infection?

I think i have penile yeast infection.. i see white coating/layer formed on the head of the penis . Genital skin becoming itchy, red and sore . what is the apt medication for the same?
I have already tried Canesten S cream but it only gives a temporary relief for half a day i apply.
The white formations continue to appear if i dont apply. I clean the head everyday but they appear back soon. There is intense itching on somedays also. A friend recommend Candid B .. Could you please the right medication which will be available in Indian Region
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later

Thanks for sharing your concern with us.

Penile yeast infection presents as erythematous areas( red areas) with overlying thick whitish discharge, radial fissures etc. itching and burning sensation is usually present.

Treatment is in the form of single dose of oral fluconazole, antihistamines like cetirizine to control itching. The area should be cleaned with lukewarm saline water followed by application of antifungal cream like clotrimazole cream( candid cream). The cream needs to be applied twice daily at least for one to two week.

Before starting treatment, I would advise you to visit a dermatologist nearby to confirm the diagnosis and for follow up when being on treatment.

Hope that helps. Should there be any other query, feel free to write back.

Follow-up: Have dry red sore skin on genital area. Noticed white coating on penis head. Penile yeast infection? 3 days later

Hi Dr.Kalpana

Thanks for answering my query.

However i have clarification on "single dose of oral fluconazole". Could you please detail a little on the same for a better understanding. How is the medication done and please specificy any.

How different is Canestan from Candid-B cream ?
I am asking Since i already tried Canestan and did not find complete recovery.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 16 hours later
Apologies for the delay in responding back.
For balanoposthitis oral fluconazole in a single dose of 150 mg is sufficient. However if the disease does not seem to be controlled another dose can be taken after a week.
Canestan contains clotrimazole while candid B contains clotrimazole with beclomethasone. Candid b can be applied to control yeast infection, however prolonged use of more than a week over penile area without doctor's supervision is not advised as it contains steroid too.
Hope that answers all your queries.