Have discharge, recent smear test showed CIN1. Not pregnant at present. Could there be something wrong?

i have had 6 babies and the most recent is now 9 mts old. i still have a lot of daily discharge and have to wear pantyliners everyday sometimes having to change for a fresh one during the day, never had as much b4 and it seems to have increased with each pregnancy. i have had regular smear tests and most recent one was 4 months ago and it was CIN 1 and i have to have repeat smear done 6 months (which will be sept) could there be something wrong and this increased discharge is because of that? this is a constant daily thing and obviously it increased mid cycle too. i am definatley not pregnant. Thanks
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The increased discharge is not related to the presence of CIN1.

I am assuming that since you had 6 deliveries that these were all vaginal births. I have had many patients with very similar complaints where issues related to relaxation of the pelvic floor contributed to an increased discharge (after infections were ruled out of course).

Prolapse of the pelvic floor is often associated with symptoms of: pelvic pressure, "something there", pain with intercourse, leakage of urine, etc.

The fact that it is increased mid-cycle is intriguing too, because there is an increase in a noticeable discharge mid-cycle. If your uterus is "descending" within the vagina, then it is closer to the outside, and the discharge likely more noticeable. Without knowing any more about you and unable to do an exam, I am going to propose that this is an incredibly likely scenario that can be sorted out by your OB/GYN with the specific question being "do you think this is related to prolapse?".

I hope this answered your question. If you have additional questions, please ask. If we are finished, please leave feedback for me! Good luck!!