Have diarrhea, taking anti-inflammatory for abscessed tooth. Can stress cause this?

hi, i have been having diarrhea for almost 2 months , i was taking anti inflammatory for an abscessed brain tooth , after i was off of it the diarrhea begin , i have no other symptoms with it except rumbling sounds and gas(which i have most times) , i heard that stress can cause it but i doubt it's my case because i had one very stressful day in this period and it actualy gave me constipation for a day , then back to diarrhea once the stress was gone, and also when i was fasting i had few days without diarrhea , i don't take any mediciations except the ones they gave me for it which had absolutly no effect on it .thanks .
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Your history suggests you may have Irritable bowel syndrome or viral or bacterial infection which is causing a chronic diarrhea for almost two months, but all these conditions have to be confirmed. Kindly get yourself examined by a like,

1.) Bloodwork.
2.) Urinalysis.
3.) Stool Test.

Once the cause is confirmed, you will be treated accordingly - Antibiotics, anti Diarrheals, etc. If this treatment doesn't help, you will have to seek opinion from a Gastroenterologist for further evaluation.
Meanwhile, please try the following measures and let me know if you feel better:
a. Totally avoid milk and other dairy products. You can go with yoghurt as that suits most people fine.
b. Keep having small meals at regular intervals.
c. Drink plenty of water and an oral rehydration solution. This should make you feel much better
d. Let go of the anxiety. Take some time off and simply sit back and relax. Practicing XXXXXXX breathing exercises will also help.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.