Have diabetes and throbbing pain in upper chest. What am I suffering from?

i have a throbbing in my upper left chest. have had it here and there for weeks now it woke me up from my sleep. I don't feel it when I run and get it no matter what position I am in. i am 54 and in good health, diabetes, non smoker. now it wont go away
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 minutes later

Your symptoms are suggestive of heart palpitation or arrhythmias.

Cardiac palpitation is uncomfortable and unusual awareness of the heartbeat.Most patient explain it as throbbing in chest.Mismatch or disturbances in electric impulses in heart are generally underlying cause for this symptoms.Most cases are harmless and dont need treatment.

But one needs to get evaluated for this.A primary evaluation with ECG can help to evaluate the condition.If at all a static ECG is normal a 24 hours ECG monitoring can help in this case.Another investigation which can help evaluate heart function is 2D-echo.

I would suggest you to see doctor for clinical evaluation and consider getting the investigations done.In most cases medication can provide good symptomatic relief.

Once diagnosis is confirmed an appropriate treatment can be proposed.

Please ask if there are further questions or if want me to explain anything.

Thank you.Take care.