Have diabetes. Is there any operation or stem cell therapy for it?

I have diabetic is there any quire for it or operation Sinostemcells and where can I find treatment if there is.
Posted Mon, 2 Jul 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 5 hours later

Thank you for writing in.

I am a cardiologist and read your question with diligence.

At present the main stay of treatment is drugs, exercise and diet. Drugs include oral hypoglycemic agents and in some cases one needs insulin.

Pancreatic Transplant, is done for Type I diabetes with complications it is usually associated with kidney transplant both from Cadaver. It is done in specialized centers approved for the procedure. I assume you are type II diabetic.

Stem cell therapy is experimental treatment and has not yet found approval for general use by FDA in USA or similar agencies in Europe. This is also done in some specialized centers. If you need addresses I can provide you with a list.

Yes, if you are obese that too what is called morbid obesity (Body Mass Index >35) you go for Bariatric surgery, diabetes if due to obesity also gets relieved to some extent.

If you have any follow up query I will be happy to answer.

With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover