Have dementia. MRI showed no acute intracranial abnormality and atrophy. Am I having alzhemiers?

I had an MRI of my brain done because of a diagnosis of dementia. I'm 69 and have CLL. The findings say 1. no acute intracranial abnormality, 2. atrophy, 3. Chronic microvascular ischemic disease. The doctor then said it confirmed I had dementia, but didnt tell me anything more specific. I called back and the nurse said consult a neurologist this isnt out specility. I want to know if this indicates i have alzhemiers or not?
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

The above MRI scan report indicates the presence of age related atrophy (degeneration of the brain) and chronic ,minor blood vessel disease.Both the above conditions can cause dementia due to loss of neurons and their supporting cells.Such a condition is seen in many individuals after around 60 years of age and is a common presentation needing no emergency management but treat symptomatically.

The scan do not mention any sign or finding which can help us to consider a possibility of the Alzheimers diseases. MRI scan is one of the gold standard to diagnose Alzheimers ,hence the diagnosis cannot be missed.

I would consider a consultation with a neurologist is for good.Symptomatic management for the dementia you have due to age related degeneration can be planned.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Have dementia. MRI showed no acute intracranial abnormality and atrophy. Am I having alzhemiers? 13 minutes later
So if I had Alzheimer's, it would have shown up with this scan?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, for sure.Scan would show if you had Alzheimer's.

Dementia can be presented in many illnesses including alzheimers.In you the cause of dementia could probably be the age related atrophy.

Hope I cleared your doubt.