Have debilitating lower extremity pain from mid-buttock to legs. Spinal X-ray showed L1 compression fx. Menaing?

I have debilitating lower extremity pain from mid-buttock down back of both legs. my Oncology dr. ordered spinal x-ray and found a L1 compression fx. I have no back pain but leg pain --#10 when I walk. Will have bone scan on Fri
I also have DJD without pain. What would the possible tx be?
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
lifestyle modifications,Drugs/surgical management

Detailed Answer:
Hi Thanks for using XXXXXXX
I can understand your concern.

Since you have L1 compression, there may not be any pain at lower back, but due to compression of nerve you may have leg pain, numbness in legs or other symptoms based on the nerve involvement.

With DJD, the cartilage deteriorates gradually causing compression of joints and this may lead to inflammation, bone spurs, compressed nerves, and pain.

For time being you can do restorative yoga, life style modifications like stretching exercises for lower back, have only required calorie intake to reduce weight and anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen 400mg. These may help in reducing the pain.
Based on the scan report and after looking into the problem your doctor may order the above said non surgical approach or plan for procedures like removal of spur if present or vertebral surgery to release or free the nerve if compression is present. These may be done under endoscopic procedure.

You need to relax now. Get the investigation done and later can discuss with your doctor for management for the problem.

Hope this answered your query. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you good health.