Have dark patches, blood spots on side of my tongue. Finished TB medicines. Why is tongue pale and white coated?

I have dark patches on side of my tongue.Also lining near my mouth feels cottony. Just now, I saw a blood spot as small as apinhole under my tongue.What could allthese be?thank you!
I finished 6 month anti TB meds last March.Midway to it, my mouth felt numb for a week.Also 3 small dark spots on middleof tongue.My tongue looked pale and white coating everytime I wake up in the morning.Corner of my mouth is so sensitive to hot food n beverages
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

From the symptoms the white coating on tongue can be due to candida infection or thrush.

Thrush appears as white patches in the mouth. Usually they can be seen on the tongue, inside the cheeks, under the tongue, and in the back of the throat. I suggest you to get an examination done from your doctor and get a KOH examination of the scrapings done of these white coatings.

Nystatin liquid is used by swishing a bit in your mouth several times a day and then swallowing the medicine. Throat lozenges called Mycelex trouches can also be used. But they should be used only after diagnosis has been confirmed and these medications prescribed by your doctor.

If the symptoms are severe then oral antifungals may be needed. You can fight against the taste by having citrus juices, lemonade and foods marinated in vinegar and brushing the tongue when you brush your teeth. But the definitive treatment consists of treatment of oral infections.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.