Have dark lips due to smoking. Stopped smoking. Is there any medicine to improve lip colour?

Sep 2012

I have dark lips due to smoking. I have stopped smoking now but I don't like the colour of my lips. It is dark. Is there any drug I can use to restore my normal lip colour back?
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Thank you for asking a question.

When you are smoking, there is darkening of the lips due to nicotine deposition. Free radical injury is also a cause. You must understand that no medication can improve the color of your skin immediately. It is a long procedure.

You can do the followings to bring back the normal color of lip.

1.     Your diet should be balanced and nutritious.
2.     Take fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables daily.
3.     Do aerobics and live a healthy life.
4.     Avoid alcohol, XXXXXXX foods. Because these may cause liver injury which may aggravate the condition.
5.     Keep a check on daily consumption of coffee and tea. Excessive intake of those may aggravate the condition.
6.     You can apply natural bleaching agents like beetroot, almond oil, and lime juice. You can rub the slice of beetroot and can massage the almond oil over the lip. In case of lime juice you can apply it with a cotton ball.
7.     Take a multivitamin drug containing macro and micro-nutrients along with vitamin C. Vitamin C is the agent which can fight against the free radical injury caused by smoking. It also helps in building fresh tissue. You can also take lemon and guava daily which are XXXXXXX source of vitamin C.
8.     Apply a mixture of glycerin, lime juice and honey on your lips every night before going to bed.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.