What does elevaled SGPT and SGOT suggest?

Question
Hello Doctor, My father's blood test reports revealed the values of SGOT and SGPT as 290 and 315 respectively. He is an alcoholic since several years. Please let me know his condition...He is using EPTOIN every day since he had a surgery in the brain due to accumulation of water in brain. He is diabetic also.
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Definitely the values are high,points liver injury Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks and welcome to healthcaremagic . The values of SGPT and SGOT are definitely high and suggest hepatic injury. Alcohol consumption adds fuel to fire. But epitoin is not highly hepato toxic like other anticonvulsant drugs. He can continue epitoin as advised by your doctor. It would be better for him to avoid alcohol in view of the present lab findings. frequent monitoring of SGOT and SGPT are helpful. Ofcourse he has to continue diabetic medicines and diet as usual. Hope this answer serves your purpose. Further queries invited. Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam.

Follow-up: What does elevaled SGPT and SGOT suggest? 53 minutes later
Doctor, Do we need any further more tests or scanning to go deep and see the condition of the liver? If so in how much time span we need to undergo those tests or scanning? And to you the exact truth, he not in a condition to stop taking alcohol. we lost all our hope that "he will quit taking alcohol" as per my recent findings..he had vodka also...is vodka harmfull? please tell me his health condition...sorry to bother you more... :(

Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Prognosis is bad if he does not quit alcohol . Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks and welcome to HCM . USG scanning every month will tell you whether the disease progression or regressing. Vodka or alcohol in any form is harmful to liver. Admission in a deaddiction center may sometimes help. Hope this reply is OK for you. Further queries invited . Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam.

Follow-up: What does elevaled SGPT and SGOT suggest? 15 minutes later
Thankyou Doctor for your suggestions and help :)

Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Welcome . Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your courtesy. Happy to answer any further queries if any on HCM . Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam.