Have cyst under armpits, soreness, occurs during periods. What concerns should I have?

Jul 2012

Good evening. I have had what I believe is a cyst under both of my armpits for sometime, and won't go away. Always have much soreness, and wearing any clothing that will cause fiction enhances the cyst to come back. It fills up and infection is released. It is always a guarantee with my menstral cycle they will occur. What concerns should I have? Thank you kindly for your time.
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 3 hours later
Hi there. Good day to you too.
What you describe as cystic lesions both armpits are more likely to be a condition called hidradenitis suppuritiva in medical terminology. If in your case, there is a flare-up with menstual cycles, i suggest going in for an abdomominopelvic ultrasononogram & ruling out any 'chocolate cysts' or endometriosis of the uterine/ovarian region. Also a battery of hormonal tests would be in order & an appointment with your gynecologist is probably best. Alternatively, an endocrinologist's help may be sought. There is really nothing to worry about as far as 'concerns' go other than ruling any other hormonal/cystic activity. I shall be hinest..albeit the problem is mundane & not life-threatening, the treatment of hidradenitis is pesky in that it may require multiple surgical excisions coupled with some medication. Personally i have found systemic isotretinoin a very useful drug but this will vary from patient to patient & at your age, may not be a good option.
Surgical debridement & excision of the axillary nodes may be a good option & a surgeon would be best positioned to get this done. So albeit you dont have much to worry about, think 2 appointments with the Gynecologist & Surgeon are probably of the essence. Dont worry, it should be sorted out pretty soon. Wish you good health & hope this answer will help you make an informed deciscion as in problems such as yours, am afraid that is the best we can offer online! Cheers & Good Luck!