Have crohn's disease, migraine and getting headache. No relief from imitrex. Alternate medicine?

Nov 2013

I am a 35 year old woman with a history of periodic migraines and headaches. I am on Imitrex when I have a migraine, and am on verapamil to help reduce the occurrence of them. About 2 weeks ago I had a migraine, so I took an Imitrex to help. The Imitrex did help, but since that migraine I have had a daily mild-to-moderate headache each day for multiple hours each day. I have tried Imitrex once or twice, but it didn't help. I have Crohn's Disease so I avoid NSAIDs (ibuprofen, aspirin, etc), so I am limited to acetaminophen. I have tried to limit my acetaminophen intake since I know it can cause rebound headaches. Up until 2 weeks ago, I didn't have constant headaches. I have been to the eye doctor recently and my eyes are okay. I am not experiencing any sinus, allergy or cold symptoms. My posture seems to be ok also.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your discomfort on account of your recurrent almost daily headaches.

For acute relief of migraine headaches, other than imitrex (sumatriptan), following options are available:

1. Rizatriptan tablets,
2. Zolmitriptan nasal spray,
3. Inj. Tramadol,

If none of the above help, you may require a dose of Inj. Dexamethasone (a steroid).

Also, since you are still having headaches while on being verapamil, other options for prevention of migraine headaches could be tried, such as beta blockers, Topiramate, divalproex, etc.

Botox therapy is also very safe and effective in chronic migraine (in my experience).

I hope it helps. I would be pleased to answer any further queries, if you have.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist