Have cramping, itchiness outside vagina. No discharge and smell. Have burning urination and urge to go again. Reason?

Mar 2016

I have cramping and have had my period for a month straight. Along with light itchiness on the outside of my vagina. No other discharge no smell. I've been working out a lot and that seems to make it worse. I also have burning with urination on and off an the feeling of having to go again.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 days later

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

First thing, burning sensation during urination with urgency or frequency is mostly associated with UTI). Here, one routine urine examination (including culture) is required to rule out causative agent. Proper antibiotic treatment along with urine alkaliser can eliminate urinary infection.

In addition to above, you need to drink more water (3 lit plus daily), maintain genital hygiene properly, empty bladder in time (3-4 hrs interval), complete cleaning before and after each sexual activity, avoid chemical cosmetics. Cranberry juice is also useful in prevention of urinary infection.

Second thing, long time period with abdominal cramp has several reasons like uterine fibroid, endometrial polyp, PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease), using IUD (Intrauterine Device), endometriosis etc. Hormonal imbalance is the least associated cause.

In this scenario, you need to get examined once (including pelvic exam) by your gynecologist to pin point the diagnosis. Some relevant investigations like pelvic ultrasound scan (USG), hormone assay, endometrial biopsy following D & C etc may be required.

Most of the patient is treated with anti-spasmodic or pain killer medication along with hemostatic agents or hormonal medication to arrest bleeding and regularize period. Other supportive treatment is required on the basis of test reports. You can take a proper prescription from your doctor after complete evaluation.

As there is no vaginal discharge or bad smell, chance of vaginal infection is quite low. Mild or light itchiness outside the vagina may be associated with UTI or using chemical cosmetics/ bath products/ soap etc.

To summarize, you consult with your gynecologist at the earliest for complete health check up and proper treatment. You do light to moderate work and take adequate rest with complete relaxation.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen