Have constant belching and breathing difficulty. How to get cured?

Good

Gastroenterologist
Question
i have constant belching and sometimes have to force up a burp in order to breath comfortably. when i can't get the burp up, i get shortness of breath, which in most cases lead to a panic attack. please advise. thank you
Posted Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your query.
Constant belching could be due to acid reflux disease, aerophagia ( excessive swallowing of air) espcially in anxious persons , gastritis and gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying which occurs most often in diabetics).
So you need to treat the underlying cause.

---Treat acid reflux disease/gastritis with medications like tablet prilosec.

----To prevent aerophagia -
1.Eat slowly
2. Avoid carbonated drinks, chewing gums and smoking ( if you are a smoker)
3. You have mentioned about panic attack which may worsen it. So you need to get that treated.

----Treat diabetes if you are a diabetic and keep blood glucose under control.

----- Avoid fatty food, beans and brocolli

----- Avoid bedtime snacks and go to bed at least 2-3 hours after food.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have constant belching and breathing difficulty. How to get cured? 52 minutes later
Thank you and I will save this response for reference. It all makes sense. I am not diabetic and I was assessed for acid reflux, which I don't have. Living in an indian home, not eating beans, curry, and spices here and there is going to be a little difficult - especially coffee and tea, which i understand can contribute to the acidic environment in my stomach. What do you think about yoghurt for settling the stomach or would you mind suggesting some naturopathic measures in settling gas and indigestion. thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 24 hours later
Yogurt may not be helpful in preventing constant belching. You may have to treat aerophagia which I have mentioned in my earlier post.

You can take digestive enzymes like Beano for relief.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini