Have cold sore on lip and skin coloured bumps in groin. What could it be?

About 9 weeks ago, I got a cold sore on my lip. This is nothing unusual as I've had them for as long as I can remember off and on. About a week or two into having it, I went to the bathroom and was afraid I did not wash my hands before wiping and worried I had transferred the virus onto the toilet paper and then to my genitals. I was freaked for awhile and then these strange bumps appeared on my groin area. Most of them were skin colored, only one or two were red, and they weren't clustered together, but over a large area, and did not extend past my groin public hair. I went to the doctor and she said I didn't have herpes but didn't say what was wrong. Now it's 9 weeks later and I'm experiencing discomfort in the same area again, and this time the bumps are more red looking. They aren't really painful; every now and then I'll feel a pinch or something, but then it goes away. They don't even hurt that much when I touch them, it's more of a discomfort or irritation. I'm really scared that I unintentionally gave myself herpes through the toilet paper, and I've read conflicting thoughts on whether or not it's possible to transfer it to yourself, so I guess I'm just trying to see if there is any reassurance to gain through here.
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Autoinoculation of HSV virus is possible. Detailed Answer: Hi, You are having herpes simplex labialis off and on. And you developed few lesions in some part of groin area. That healed and again you developed after few weeks. And you feel irritation and discomfort. If possible please send photograph of the lesions of groin area.HSV viruses do not survive at room temperature. So, fomites may not be responsible. But direct self contact may be possible reason. I feel that in groin area, you may be having herpes simplex lesions. But lesions of HS anywhere is of no matter, as you have already on lip. I recommend to take antiviral like acyclovir in proper dose for long time. And apply acyclovir cream on lip as well as groin lesions. Immunobooster like levamisole may be taken. You consult dermatologist and take suggested treatment. Internal diseases and immunodeficiencies may be ruled out after proper tests. I hope you got my answer. If any query, you may ask. Thanks. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Follow-up: Have cold sore on lip and skin coloured bumps in groin. What could it be? 46 minutes later
After looking at the area more closely in a better lit room, I noticed that there are not multiple bumps, just one that is red and very small. It does not hurt consistently and doesn't hurt to touch, and there's no clustering happening since it's just one. There is only one, on one side of my groin where my leg meets my torso. I investigated the entire area and nothing else is abnormal. Any other raised skin I see all corresponds with a hair follicule and is flesh toned.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Folliculitis is another possibility. Detailed Answer: Hi, As I previously said, the lesions in groin are may be herpetic. If not, then it may be folliculitis. But, if the lesion occurs at the same site off and on, then possibility of herpes simplex is more. You take oral antibiotics for 2 weeks and apply antibiotic cream. Along with you take treatment as suggested previously for herpes simplex which is on lip... Do not worry. Stress and worries may precipitate herpes simplex. I think, you may be satisfied with my answer. Thanks. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD