Have cold problem, How to reduce it?

ENT Specialist
i have cold problem, it is affecting me whole year, how to reduce it? and also i am too much getting disturb because of this and also feeling uncomfortable always.
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 4 hours later

Your description is not very complete. Let me ask you few more questions; what do you mean by cold? Is it running nose or difficulty to breathe? Do you also get episodes of sneezing, red and watery eyes, itching in nose etc?

That you have the symptoms throughout the year suggests perennial allergic rhinitis. In this case, you are sensitive and allergic to certain substances for which your nose and body reacts this way. They could include house dust mite, certain foodstuffs, pollen etc. The treatment usually involves allergic testing to identify the allergens, avoidance, treatment against the allergens etc.

Few more suggestions; I see that you are based out of Bangalore, in that case you can visit me at my clinic for me to examine you and treat. You are on Xylometazoline nasal drops (Otrivin); this drop should not be used for prolonged periods as they can cause a condition, which can cause a blocked nose sensation permanently. Stop using the drops.

Sometimes, there are non-allergic rhinitis, which can also cause such symptoms for a prolonged period. Those conditions have to be ruled out.

Few immediate steps you can follow; clean your bed sheets and mattresses often, keep the surroundings clean, avoid exposure to allergic plants and pollen; for example avoid early morning walks and late evening walks, identify food stuffs that can precipitate your condition and avoid them; most common food stuffs include sea foods. XXXXXXX an ENT specialist or an allergy expert to identify and rule out allergens. Stop nasal drops you are using currently.

Follow-up: Have cold problem, How to reduce it? 34 minutes later
thank you for your reply.
Actually i am suffering from sinus, and earlier i had went for treatment also but after treatment doctor told me that it is sinus and for this i will have to go for operation.,
Answered by Dr. Sreenivasan Narayana 1 hour later

Your description is very short and not much can be made out of it. So you have cold throughout year and have been suggested surgery. If you can describe your symptoms in detail, I will be better able to help you.

I assume you had met an ENT who has suggested you the surgery after examining you and performing necessary tests including radiology tests such as X ray or a CT scan and also a diagnostic nasal endoscopy.

In case you are worried about operation and are asking for any other alternative, I cannot answer this without examining you. Chronic sinusitis with significant mucosal disease cannot be treated with medications alone. With advancement in surgical techniques surgeries such as FESS - Functional endoscopic sinus surgery, the cure rates have improved and the surgical procedure results in preservation of sinus functions with minimal destruction of structures. These surgeries help in addressing the sinus problems and restoration of functional sinuses.