Have cold, cough and blocked nose. Used Otrinoz paediatric solution. Remedy?

ENT Specialist
My nose is blocked from long time( almost 3-4 month). Its especially get blocked during night time. My nose becomes stuffy but its not running. whenever i take steam my nose is opened. It seems to be an allergy. I am not having any cold / cough or any irritation in throat. what should i do. I dont want to take any anti-biotic. Sometime saline nasal spray helps but as of now am using Otrinoz paediatric solution to unblock my nose.

Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a nasal examination done to check for common causes of nasal obstruction such as DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum), hypertrophied nasal turbinates, spurs and sinusitis. The appearance of the inside of the nose may help differentiate the cause. Vasomotor or intrinsic rhinitis is a possibility if this is not allergic.

2. Continuous use of Xylometazoline nasal solutions such as Otrinoz Pediatric will lead to Rhinitis Medicamentosa.

3. If you can upload images of a video nasal endoscopy and a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) with 1 mm coronal, axial, sagittal cuts pre and post decongestion with the Otrinoz Pediatric solution, I will be able to give you an accurate assessment.

4. Request your physician for a two week trial with an anti-histamine, an anti-leukotriene, a steroid nasal spray and regular steam inhalation. Let me know the results drectly at

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.