Ask a Dentist   »  

Have cold and noticed slight swelling on hard palate. Medical cure for this?

I have a slight swelling on my hard palate. Painless and no discoloration. It feels a bit like a mosquito bite swelling which is subsiding. On touch it feels its a bit bumpy under the skin. I have a bad cold right now. Its around 9 days now since I first noticed the swelling.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 48 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

As per the details provided by you, the swelling on your hard palate is painless and bumpy.
Have you noticed your teeth in upper jaw?

Usually such a swelling arises in cases of teeth associated with dental caries which has progressed into peri-apical area resulting in abscess formation.

Such abscess may drain through the sinus into hard palate or adjacent tissues resulting in swelling.

The bump can also be due to periodontal abscess drained into hard palate, which arise due to periodontal infection.

Periodontal infection arise due to-
Poor oral hygiene maintenance
Diabetes mellitus, hypertension, epilepsy, auto-immune disorders.
I would suggest you to get a clinical as well as radiological examination by a dentist.

This will diagnose the swelling.

The pus within the swelling has to be drained out through the involved teeth.
Root canal treatment and curettage will help in opening the access cavity and draining the pus out.

I would suggest you to get a thorough scaling done.

Meanwhile, maintain good oral hygiene.

Brush your teeth using soft-bristled toothbrush in back-forth, up-down motion.
Complete course of antibiotics-analgesics has to be administered to relieve the infection.
Get your blood-sugar level checked to rule out diabetes mellitus.

Use chlorhexidine mouth rinses frequently to prevent plaque accumulation.

So, I would advise you to visit a dentist soon to prevent the swelling getting aggravated.

Hope this clarifies.

Please feel free to ask further concerns if any.

Follow-up: Have cold and noticed slight swelling on hard palate. Medical cure for this? 1 hour later
Its pretty hard to touch and pains a bit when I press it. Its around the midline on the left. Starts at the juncture of the soft and hard palate and follows the midline for about or less than an inch. Its around 1 cm in width.
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 9 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

The bump usually arising at the palate will be hard to touch.

Since the bump is around the mid-line of palate, the infection may be associated mainly with your left anterior teeth.
As I suggested you in the previous answer, please do follow the instructions mentioned.

Anyway get a direct check -up also with your dentist.

Hope this clarifies.

If I cleared your doubts, please close the discussion.

I wish you good health.