Have cold and cough. Is it safe to take femilon along with paracetamol, citrizine and amoxicilin?

Hello Doctor,

I have started on Femilon recently (on Nov 13th). I am prone to regular cough and cold ( I have a history of tonsils, sinus and cold allergy) and have to take Paracetamol, citrizine and sometimes amoxicilin, for the same. I understand Amoxilin is not to be taken with Femilon and m avoiding the same. Please advice me if I can continue taking paracetamol and citrizine. If not, then is there any alternative medicine, which is safe to use along with Femilon, in my condition of cold and cough.
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 52 minutes later
It is good that you are avoiding amoxycillin. You can take paracetamol and cetrizine without any drug interactions.
There are some general measures that can help you in reducing the problem-
1. Avoid dust, excessive humidity, sudden change in temperatures and any known allergen.
2.Start antiallergics in combination with antiinflammatory agent like montelukast before the onset of first signs and symptoms.
3. Use XXXXXXX warm water for drinking.
4. Whenever symptoms appear,take steam inhalation twice daily - Take hot water in a vessel, put eucalyptus oil in it. Inhale it by covering with a blanket. See to it that fans/AC are not on during this and after some time also i.e. around 10-15 minutes.
5. Avoid all irritants like perfumes, soot, etc.
6.Application of warm cloth, hot water bottle or gel pack to face for 5-10 minutes relieves pain and inflammation to some extent.
7.Use nasal decongestant or steroid drops or sprays for decongestion which encourages drainage.
In case the cough is persistent then you need to have antibiotics after consulting your physician.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.