Have coil fitted. Started getting dark blackish discharge, feeling lightheaded and tired. What's wrong?

I had the coil fitted few months ago and for the past month i have been getting a lot of dark blackish discharge i had this for 2 weeks then stopped for a week then it happened again for another 2 weeks and i have still got it which has been 3 weeks straight in total now and i'm feeling really unwell with it feeling light headed, sick and very tired and there is no blood at all
Posted Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Having an irregular brownish discharge after fitting the coil is a common finding. It takes some time for the uterus to get adjusted to the coil. Usually the brownish discharge stops in 3-4 weeks. The initial periods may be prolonged but the total amount of bleeding reduces considerably.
You can wait for a week more and see if the discharge stops spontaneously. In case it persists, then you need to consult your gynecologist to rule out any vaginal infections.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.