Have clear lung and no muscle soreness. Why am I having yellow coloured nasal mucus?

I have been coughing up yellow mucus and yellow mucus when I do nasal wash. My waking temperature is between 97.8 and 98.1 charting for 2 weeks. My lungs are clear as I run or swim distances daily. There is no muscle soreness. What is going on with me.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 hours later

If yellow colored nasal mucus is the only problem that you complain about I think you are just perfectly responding as a normal person. The temperatures are quite normal. The yellow nasal mucus is because of natural defence the body does against foreign particles. The nasal mucosa produces lysozyme that traps these foreign particles and produce sticky mucus to trap them before entering the nasopharynx.

It appears that your body immunity is holding you well.

If you have any specific question please let me know.
Follow-up: Have clear lung and no muscle soreness. Why am I having yellow coloured nasal mucus? 13 hours later
The thing I did not cover in the initial question is that this has been going on for 2-3 weeks. I know there has been a lot of pollen in the air and wonder if this is a contribution. Any idea how long this will go on before the mucus loses it's color and is clear and do you suggest taking vitamin C or zinc or anything else that is a natural substance to keep my immune system strong. Have you read the book "Younger Next Year"? and if you have do you think it is spot on? Thanking you in advance. XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

Yes pollen contributes. It will take a week to 10 days to lose color. You can do steam inhalations with Vicks to loosen the mucus. It will lighten the color and liquify as well.

Vitamin C or zinc supplements are not a great idea. However inclusion of all the seven dark colors in your diet each day improves the immune system better. It would be good if you can include all the six tastes in your diet each day. You can know about them by reading further about them.

I am sorry I did not go through the book and cannot comment on it further.