Have chronic shortness of breath. Have POTS syndrome. On Lopressor and Plaquenil. What should I do?

Past 3 weeks I have chronic shortness of breath when I walk. I am 27 years old healthy other than having POTS syndrome and possible autoimmune im on Lopressor and Plaquenil for those
this whole month of been extremely stressed crying every day always anxious - I am very in tune with my breathing and feel like im short of breath all the time when im walking!!! its sooooo scary!

I have had now 2 chest xrays (keep going to the ER)
I have doctors tell me my lungs sound clear
pulse ox is 100% on Room air.
blood pressure and pulse is just fine
I had a normal ECHO 3 months ago
CT of my chest 7 months ago and normal.
I am so STRESSSED I have given myself acid reflex from the anxiety and feel short of breath I cry every night and wake up anxious every day

can I assume that its not my lungs and my heart? what can I DO>!>!
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 days later

I see that the breathlessness on exertion (walking) is a fairly recent one. Chronic lung pathologies secondary to autoimmune diseases usually have an insidious progress. Besides that, lung inflammation secondary to autoimmune condition has fairly constant symptoms unrelated to exertion.

Based on these facts and the fact that recent chest X-ray and CT chest scans are normal, I would exclude lung problems.

Therefore I shall assume this may be related to:
1. Stress and anxiety.
2. Volume over load conditions such as anemia / hyperthyroidism.
3. Less likely a heart problem.

We could test your blood - hemogram and thyroid profile to see for alarming signs. If symptoms are very troubling, perhaps repeat Echocardiogram may be considered to exclude heart ailment. Your primary care provider will know about these tests.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.