Have chronic kidney stone disease and medullary sponge kidney. Taking oxycodone ir. Effective medicine?

I have chronic kidney stone disease and MSK and I pass stones everyday usually 5-10 stones ranging from 2mm-5mm. I take pain medication daily for pain management and I always feel uncomfortable having a conversation with my regular physician when it comes to my pain because of the stigma associated with pain medication. However, I feel the amount I am on is no longer making me comfortable and I feel I am always chasing the pain and never ahead of it. I take 15mg oxycodone IR every 4-6 hours no more than 6 daily equalling 90mg a day. My question is if there is another pain medication I can take to always have a small amount in my system and be ahead of the pain? Would a pain patch be allowed in my case and remain with oral medication? And if so what ways can I approach suggesting this to my Doctor that doesn't make me seem like a know-it-all or a drug seeker?
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 34 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX welcome and thanks for writing in.
Medullary sponge kidney is condition which is associated with recurrent stone formation. You are already aware of that. Regarding pain management there is guarded approach in every case. Presently you are on single medication so next step will be addition of another drug or change of present drug.
Gradually dose is monitored for symptoms free feeling. Regarding analgesics patch , it is easy and effective way but it is reserved for severe pain. It is used when other methods fails.
You can definitely and freely talk to your physician regarding your uncomfortness because it is duty of doctor to treat the patient. There is no stigma in such condition as pain relief is priority.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.