Have chest cramp up to the neck. CT scan said no heart attack and no blockage. Can i take paracetamol?

Jan 2013

Hi my husband has chest cramp up to the neck area few days ago. He was admitted and the heart doctor has done tests, CT scan and its not a heart attack and no blockage. He was only given gavascon and was discharged the next day. I suspect that it could be heartburn. Now if he has migraine or fever, is it ok to give him muscle relax on or paracetamol?
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 25 minutes later
Welcome to Healthcaremagig forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms, along with mentioned.
Does he has acidic belching/ abdominal discomfort/ abdominal bloating/ excessive flatulence?
Did he has chest cramps while eating or drinking food?
Does he has burning sensation in chest?

With the available described symptoms, there could be possibility of esophageal spasm or esophagitis (inflammation in food pipe).
Presence of chest cramp suggests the diagnosis.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
He should go for complete blood count, blood sugar, thyroid profile, and endoscopy for better clarification.
Possibility of esophageal spasm could be ruled out by barium swallow x XXXXXXX in which esophagus appears to be "cork screw" type.

As such there is no harm in taking paracetamol, if your husband is suffering from fever or migraine.
There is no utility in taking muscle relaxants for migraine and fever.

Meanwhile, he can continue Gaviscon for heart burn relief.
He should also take proton pump inhibitors, prokinetics and oxetacaine for relief of symptoms.
He should avoid cold drinks (may precipitate spasm in esophagus), tomatoes, citrus fruits and oily spicy food.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava