Have bumps on vagina. Never had any sexual contact. Is this normal? How to get rid of it?

Question
Hello, I have these little bumps on my vagina... well on like.. the labia? mostly the inner lips. It is rough little bumps kindof like goose bumps. I am not sexually active.. never had sex, oral sex, or any sexual contact of any kind. They do not hurt or itch.. although ive had a day every so often where im a little itchy, but i dont think its from the bumps? Anyway theyre not really visible unless you pull the skin tight. Nothing comes out of them i dont think (like puss) although to be honest i havent spent much time looking because it makes me panic. I havent tried popping them and i dont think they would pop.. Its more of a texture? i really cant stand the feeling of it. Anyway, what is this, is it normal? If not how do i get rid of it.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

From what you are describing, this does not sound like an abnormal finding. There are many glands within the labia (the smaller "lips" are called the labia minora). These glands could, in fact, look like small bumps under the skin. The fact that they do not drain and are not associated with any symptoms suggests that they are a normal finding. Also, given that they sound like they are symmetric / on both sides also points to a normal finding.

If this were an abnormality, the most likely cause might be condyloma (less affectionately called "warts"). The only way to know for sure is to have an OB/GYN take a direct look at them. But again, if you have NEVER had any sexual contact, then this is incredibly unlikely to be the cause as they are caused by HPV virus which is spread by sexual contact.

So what I would recommend is to not panic, pay less attention to them, and contact your OB/GYN to take a look and tell you if they look normal. Also, do not try any kind of douches or vaginal cleansers as these are irritating and can often cause new problems.

I hope this helps. If you are satisfied, please take a moment to leave a review and be sure and accept the question. Good luck!