Ask a Dentist   »  

Have bumps on soft palate. Why are they getting bigger? Is this an allergic reaction?

i have bumps on the right side of my soft palate. They started a few hours ago, and have gotten a little bigger and more sensitive since then. That side of my palate also feels warmer. I haven't eaten anything... so I don't think it is an allergic reaction... ?
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Your symptoms are suggestive of a throat infection most likely a viral infection. Bacterial infections thought can't be ruled out completely.

Usually such viral infections resolve spontaneously in 3-5 days time. If they worsen, you need appropriate antibiotics.

I suggest the following treatment options currently:
1) For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help you.
2) For soreness relief you can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids. Gargling with warm water mixed with dissolvable aspirin can give additional benefits.
3) Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Sour Substances.
4) Consume plenty of water and good fruits and vegetables.

Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must if you worsen - develop high grade fever, severe pain while swallowing and so on. So seek prompt medical help as and when required. Proper antibiotic therapy will help you in faster recovery.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.