Have brown pin point spots that open upon feet and hands, skin peels away. Tried all foot fungus products. Good medicine ?

I have brown pin point spots that open up and the skin peels away, tried all foot fungus products. It is on my feet and hands
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 23 hours later

Based on your description, it seems that you might be suffering from 'pompholyx'. This is an integral part of eczema.

This condition can be controlled with the following measures:
1. Avoid soaps and detergents
2. Use mild moisturizing soaps like dove for bathing
3. Corticosteroid creams is useful in such conditions. Corticosteroid with antibiotics combination creams may be used externally for better effectiveness. Examples of such creams are flutibact or fudic BNF cream
4. Antihistamines which are over the counter like one pill of cetrizine may be used at bedtime for two weeks.

In addition, I encourage you to consult a dermatologist for physical examination. The above mentioned options can be discussed with them. More potent creams / oral medications can be prescribed through a competent dermatologist.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be available for follow ups.

Dr. Prasad.
Follow-up: Have brown pin point spots that open upon feet and hands, skin peels away. Tried all foot fungus products. Good medicine ? 46 minutes later
what should i do about this condition, how can it be cured or controled? will it spread to other body parts?
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 31 hours later
Hello again,

Thank you for writing back.

As I have mentioned earlier, you can follow these steps to control this condition:

1. Avoid using soaps and detergents.
2. Use mild soaps with a moisturizer for bathing.
3. You can use topical steroid creams over the affected area. Using a combination of steroid with an antibacterial cream will help you. You can get a cream from your chemist.
4. You can apply moisturizing lotion over the affected as well as normal skin to prevent it from spreading.
5. Consider using antihistaminics orally for two weeks to reduce the itching and progression. You can buy cetrizine tablets from your chemist over the counter, and take one tablet at bed time for two weeks.

There are chances that it might spread slowly to the surrounding area if uncontrolled.

Please do visit your dermatologist to properly diagnose the condition and treatment specific and best suited for you.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.