Have broken ribs and suffer pain. On sleeping pills. Can this be Tietze syndrome?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have my ribs broken many times they just broke breathing or sneezing anything I have been having this really bad pain on a scale 1-10 its an 11, they are sending me to get X-rays and ct again which I have had many many times it just shows where my ribs were broking so many times that they just don't heal right the doctor just says I must of broken them again, but it doesn't feel like that this time its only on my left side under my ribs more to the front but does go some to the back it is really bad right under my left breast, its hard for me to move with out the pain, im on sleeping pills cause otherwise I don't sleep, I already take pain pills and meds for RA my hands are starting to change and can't hold onto anything I always have pain but this is different this has happen many many times and nothing works for the pain I did hear about something called Tietze Syndrome, I see an RA doctor, family doctor, and pain managerment doctor, and migraine doctor I just some time even one day I do not hurt the pain is just hard to take this has been going on for years and its only gotten worse I hope you can help
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 3 days later

Welcome at XXXXXXX

I have read your question with diligence. It looks from your details that you are having a severe degree of pain at your chest. This pain increases with breathing as well as from sneezing.

This pain looks to be due to your old fractures as well as from Tietze syndrome. You should do following to have relief in this-

-Do warm fomentation with help of a water bag over affected area.

-Take the help of a good physiotherapist. Some breathing exercises will help you in getting relief. Although this may take some time.

-You may ask for local injection of steroid to relieve inflammation at local point. This is particularly helpful in cases of Tietze syndrome.

Hope this all will help you.

With best wishes.
Follow-up: Have broken ribs and suffer pain. On sleeping pills. Can this be Tietze syndrome? 27 hours later
Thank you for the information what if it doesn't get any better I have been dealing with this for such a long time I have gotten the shots but it didn't help much and doesn't last long I just want the pain to go away it hurts all the time just moving getting out of bed, coughing extra there has to be something I can do Do you also think it could be Tietze Syndrome Thank you for your time XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 4 hours later
Hello XXXXX,

If you are getting this pain from long time & this pain is proved to be your old fracture at your ribs,then the reason behind this may be painful non union of ribs.Non union of ribs ( if not healing from routine conservative methods) can be treated by surgery also,by application of plates-

You should discuss this from your doctor about this.

Hope this will help you.