Have bladder control issue and UTI. Is it normal to have missed period while on loestrin?

Mar 2016

This is a 2 part question.
Question 1: I started taking loestrin 24 fe four months ago and take the pill as diected (I was previously on lo ogestrl 28 for over 10 years). I have gone four cycles now without a period or withdrawl bleeding. Is this normal?
Question 2: I have been having bladder control issues and a UTI. Can these be related to loestrin 24 fe?
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. i am trying to give answers to your queries.

1) Loestrin 24 Fe is a combined OCP (ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone) and highly effective (more than 99.5%) against unwanted pregnancy.

Though, you should undergo one home pregnancy test with urine initially & blood test for beta-HCG to confirm/ exclude possibility of pregnancy at the earliest.

It is quite common in some women to face menstrual irregularities or even long time amenorrhea for the initial few months after start taking the pill. It occurs mostly due to hormonal imbalance as a side effect of the pill.

If you are not bothering with it, you can change the current birth control pill after consultation with your gynecologist. Here, you can miss a pregnancy.

2) In general, bladder problem or UTI does not cause delayed or missed period for long time. These are also not related with Loestrin 24 Fe.

Follow some general measures for healthy life style:

1) Take healthy diet with more vegetables (carotene based) & iron supplements.
2) Drink plenty of fluids/water & eat more fresh fruits. Avoid spicy/ junk/ salty food stuffs.
3) Control body weight by regular physical exercise. Keep bowel habit regular.
4) Avoid stress by doing yoga/ deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
5) Maintain personal hygiene & need sound sleep with complete relaxation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen