Have bilateral swollen lymph node in the groin. Experiencing night sweats and fatigue. Prognosis?

Geriatrics Specialist
I've got bi-lateral lymph node swelling in the groin, my legs are swollen and painful to touch in areas. I have had no injuries. This started 3 days ago. My hip joints are very "achy" and are limited in movement. I am fatigued and have had various events of Nightsweats over the last 3 weeks. I am in excellent physical shape and eat well. I do have lots of allergies, both seasonal and food. I'mm 5'6", 160lbs with 10.6% body fat. I had an upper and lower GI @45 days ago...completely normal. I average about 4-5 hours of sleep a night in a 7 day period.
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 31 minutes later
There are several conditions that can cause the enlargement of your lymph nodes. These would include an infection (?perhaps a sexually transmitted one), cancer, tuberculosis etc.
There are several questions I would need you to answer so that I am able to help you better:
a. What is the size of the lymph nodes? Are they stuck to each other or can you feel them individually?
b. What is the color of the skin overlying the nodes?
c. have you been treated for sexually transmitted diseases previously?
d. Have you noticed any weight loss or enlarged lymph nodes anywhere else?
e. Have you noticed any ulcers on the penis or surrounding areas?

Once I have these answers, I will be able to help you better.
Follow-up: Have bilateral swollen lymph node in the groin. Experiencing night sweats and fatigue. Prognosis? 18 hours later
The Lymph nodes are about 2" long and 1 1/2" wide. They "feel" like one unit. Again, these are on both sides of my groin.

The color of the skin is the same as it always is. But they are very hot for an area the size of my hand with the hottest part in the center.

I have never been treated for STD's of any kind.

Weight LOSS no, weight gain yes. With the swelling of my legs I can hardly get my pants on. My waist also has gone from @28" to 32"

No ulcers onor around the penis.

The day that this all started was on saturday the 16th. I had used a dosage of Sumavel for a cluster headache, a "needle free delivery system. It left a massive bruise and broke the skin with bleeding that lasted 15 minutes or so. I noticed the enlarged lymph nodes about 8 hours later.

My whole body aches at all of the joints especially the hips, knees and feet. That may just be due to the swelling and the joints are looser than normal. I've had many surgeries due to sports related issues in the last 12 years and all of those sites seem to hurt the worst.

Also, and this might be completely irrelevant, but my Father died at 56 from a sudden onset of Leukemia. I don't know if this is hereditary or just bad luck.

I hope that this help you and if there is any more info you need let me know. My Neurologist has temporarily taken me off the Sumavel until we rule out that an infection did not happen when I used it that day.
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back to us.

The lymph node more than 2cms needs medical attention, as it is a sign of growing infection in your body.

Lymph nodes participate in the body's immune response. If there is any infection, the source of antigen is trapped in the lymph node, resulting in their enlargement. This is to trap their spread in blood stream to minimize the course of disease as a body self defense mechanism.

Visit your family physician, and do a blood screen for any causative pathogen. Once it is identified, treating the cause would be easier. The lymph nodes will reduce in size automatically when the underlying organism is treated.

Do you have any fever right now?

It is best to stop your sumavel as per your neurologist, until you get the exact cause of the swelling. As I said, the first step to rule out any malignancy or infection is by doing a blood study.

Hope this helped you. Follow up, if you got further questions in mind.

Dr. Surendiran